Vegan Apple Galette with Buttered SLH Rum Sauce
“Cooking is like love: It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” — Harriet van Horne. The holidays are the perfect time for sharing special homemade treats with loved ones and deepening bonds through the expression of food. Galettes are rustic and comforting desserts that are easy to make yet will make everyone’s heart sing during the holiday season. They can be prepared ahead of time and placed into the oven right before dessert time or baked ahead of time then served at room temperature. Strains that offer sweet citrus notes such as Super Lemon Haze, Lemon Kush, Lemon Haze, Lemon Skunk, and Juicy Fruit pair impeccably not only for the flavor profiles but also the medicinal and social effects.
A Galette is a French pastry term that denotes a freeform crusty tart, cake, crepe, or cookie. These pastries can be sweet or savory and enjoyed at any meal time. Galettes have always been a popular French treat both in bakeries, restaurants, and in the comfort of homes. But recently, the demand of Galette pastries have rose in the last few years, specifically the sweet filled fruit varieties. These charming pastries have been gracing the covers of magazines, blogs, and food websites as their popularity grows. Whether it is a baked apple tart, king cake, egg and cheese crepe, or waffle cookies, people immensely enjoy sharing them with the company of friends and loved ones.
Super Lemon Haze pairs very well with this dessert as it lends layers of flavor. A strong but sweet citrusy lemon flavor balances the apple mixture of the tart while a pleasurable earthy haze flavor rounds out the crust. As previously mentioned in the English Lemon Curd recipe, Super Lemon Haze is the super child of Lemon Skunk x Super Silver Haze by Green House Seed Company.
The effects of this strain start off with immediate physical sensations paired with a soaring cerebral sensation. This strain is very powerful but has the perfect balance between the physical and mental medicinal effects. It is perfect for stimulating the appetite while relieving nausea. This strain also possesses an uplifting effect on the psyche by relieving depression and stress. Even though it can be slightly dreamy, one will feel compelled to enjoy themselves around the company of good friends. This is a great staple strain to have in the house at all times as its flavor profiles can be used in a variety of dishes from sweet to savory.
If Super Lemon Haze is not on hand or available in your area strains such as Lemon Kush, Lemon Haze, Lemon Skunk, and Juicy Fruit are perfect substitutions. If for some reason the aforementioned strains are not available as well, just use your nose and taste buds to find a strain that lends citrus and lemon notes. Remember; treat each strain like an individual culinary herb like lemon grass or lemon balm and you will enjoy harnessing the different flavor profiles present in each strain. Experimenting in the kitchen will not only bring pleasure to yourself but also to those who get to indulge in your creations as well. Happy Holiday season!
Galette Mise en Place:
- 1 nine inch Vegan pie crust
- 3 small apples
- 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Extra sugar for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Lay out your pie crust on a cookie tray lined with oven safe parchment paper.
- Next, slice your apples and add to a small bowl. You can choose to leave the skin on for extra nutrients, texture, and color. Add the juice from one lemon, corn starch, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the bowl. Stir this mixture until all of the apples are evenly coated. Do not discard the lemon halves.
- Pour the apple mixture into the center of the pie crust and slowly spread it outwards leaving a two inch boarder. Fold over and pinch the boarder up around the apples. Using the lemon halves, gently rub the squeezed fruit onto the outside of the pie boarder then coat with sugar.
- Place into the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until the crust is golden. When the pie hits the ten minute mark, proceed to the next step for the Buttered SLH Rum Sauce.
Buttered SLH Rum Sauce Mise en place:
- 2 tablespoons SLH Vegan cannabutter or coconut oil (made from ¼ cup butter with 4 grams SLH)
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- All of the ingredients into a small sauce pan. Over medium heat continually stir the mixture with a whisk. The mixture will look separated until it reduces. Continue to stir until the mixture reduces to a syrup consistency. Be careful not to burn the sauce.
- By the time the sauce is done, the pie should be out of the oven ready to eat warm. Pour the sauce over the Galette and cut into four servings. Enjoy with a cup of coffee or tea with your favorite friends.
Super Lemon Haze can test up to 25% THC, so do the math accordingly. If one gram of SLH tests at 25% THC, twenty five percent of 1,000mg would be 250mg. So if you added 4 grams worth of SLH into the total recipe at 25% THC and had 4 servings it would be: 250mg per serving. Sub the number of your THC percentage and do the math to figure out your dosing. If you want a smaller dose, cut the gram by half or make even smaller servings such as 8 to produce 125mg per portion.
If it is unknown what the percentage is, then you would be consuming 1 gram of activated flower if you broke it into 4 servings. Again, if you want a smaller dose cut the gram by half when making the butter or make smaller servings.
I would recommend strains that possess citrusy and lemon like terpenes and flavonoids. The following would be ideal: Lemon Kush, Lemon Haze, Lemon Skunk, and Juicy Fruit.