Nilla wafer pudding was always one my favorite desserts after getting a whole flight of meats at our local BBQ joint. In the past year, going animal-based and then carnivore has led me to developing recipes based on nostalgic sugar-full and plant-full dishes. As a professional chef, it is always very rewarding during recipe developing when you hit the nail on the head with the first try. This was one of those recipes, delicious, luscious, and comforting to the soul. The perfect end to any backyard BBQ array of meats or smoked creations like wild caught salmon.
Animals are food and plants are medicine is my motto. I recognize that animal foods let us thrive and plants can correct any maladies that may sneak up due to disease, environment, or lifestyle choices. Cannabis for me, when oxalates are bound properly, can help our endocannabinoid system get back online when sick. Cannabis becomes more powerful when used as medicine when needed as opposed to everyday use in healthy individuals. However, there are exceptions for medical daily use such as seizures or Parkison’s disease.
When it came to choosing what strain to pair with this tasty creation, I decided to go with the flavor profiles of a sugary, nutty, and vanilla like strain, “Nilla Wafer”. Perfect pairing and name, eh? Sometimes things work out that awesome when it comes to creating new recipes! The beauty about this strain, is that it provides an uplifting mood and energy boost. Which is nice when you might need a little pep in your step. But don’t worry, if cannabis isn’t your thing, I promise that this recipe will be just as delicious without it! The little green, green, just takes the nuances of flavor to the next level.
What You Will Need to Make Carnivore Nilla Wafer Pudding:
- Pastured Eggs
- Raw Heavy Cream
- Plain Pork Rinds
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Optional: Nilla Wafer kief, vanilla extract, and monk fruit sugar (to make the transition to carnivore easier).
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Small Sauce Pan
- Mason Jar with Lid
- Any kief in exchange for Nilla Wafer.
- Cinnamon pork rinds if you are transitioning off any diet onto Carnivore.
Carnivore Nilla Wafer PuddingCourse: Carnivore, DessertsCuisine: CarnivoreDifficulty: Easy
Carnivore Meets Backyard BBQ Nilla Wafer Pudding – delicious, luscious, and comforting.
4 Pastured Egg Yolks
1 Cup Raw Heavy Cream
Plain Whole Pork Rinds
Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Optional Ingredients
1/4 Cup Powdered Monk Fruit (Optional)
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Bean Extract (Optional)
1/2 gram decarbed Nilla Wafer Kief (Optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. If adding monk fruit, whisk together with the eggs.
- In a small saucepan, gently warm the heavy cream and kief on low heat for 5 minutes while stirring to avoid burning.
- After 5 minutes, pull the heavy cream from the stove and let cool to a temperate temperature.
- Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture into the heavy cream while whipping with a whisk in the small saucepan.
- Return the saucepan with the egg mixture to a low heat and continue to stir continuously until it begins to thicken like a custard.
- When the mixture becomes thick and coats the back of a spoon, take off the heat. Season with a few pinches of sea salt and vanilla if desired. Whisk the mixture well to incorporate the salt and/or vanilla. Pour the pudding into a bowl. Cover the bowl and let the mixture set in the fridge for 4 hours.
- When it is set, layer pudding then pork rinds in a mason jar. Finish with crumbled pork rinds on top. Serve immediately.
- Using vanilla extract and monk fruit sugar is not Carnivore. However, if you are transitioning onto the Carnivore lifestyle, adding these elements will help you make the switch with ease.
- Cannabis is technically not Carnivore; however, I see plants as medicine as long as they are extracted correctly and used only when needed.
- If the gram of kief tests at 50% THC, fifty percent of 1,000mg would be 500mg. So, if you added 1/2-gram worth of kief into the total recipe at 50% THC, it would contain 250mg total. Sub the number of your THC percentage and do the math to figure out the desired dosing. If you want a smaller dose, cut the kief down to a smaller portion.
- For a more tailored dosage and revolutionary precise dosing chart, be sure to order a copy of my book, The Ganja Kitchen Revolution
Can I make these without weed?
Of course! These recipes taste amazing both infused and not!
What are the best pork rinds to use?
Any plain pork rind will do! I tend to gravitate towards “Great Value” Fried Pork Rinds Original. They do not have any weird additives or chemicals. You can also make your own or use fried cinnamon pork skins if you have the inclination.
How to Store Nilla Wafer Pudding
It is recommended to keep the pudding and pork rinds separate until serving. Once the pudding is fully set and layered with rinds, I would recommend eating immediately. However, up to an hour later is fine. Otherwise, the pork rinds get soggy and create an entirely different texture.
How Long Does It Last?
The pudding will last up to 4 days in the fridge by itself for maximum freshness!
Reasons Why You Will Love This Recipe:
- Carnivore friendly.
- Perfectly delicious.
- Lusciously Creamy.
- Comforting to the soul.
More Animal-Based Desserts