Mr. Nice Stuffed Yugoslavian Finger Squash
Alien vegetable? Mutated garden squash? New character on the Adam’s Family to replace “The Thing”? Most of you will be asking “What the eff is that?!” upon seeing the above image. Fear not, as this creepy little fingered creature is actually called a “Yugoslavian Finger Squash”. Hailing from, as you guessed it, Yugoslavia, this strange squash was introduced to America in 1885 by James J.H Gregory. When he brought it here, he called it a “pineapple squash”. I don’t see any relation to pineapples, but it’s current name fits quite well.
The earthy, hashy, spicy, and sweet undertones of Mr.Nice really help to flavor this mild squash as it is naturally very bland comparatively to other fall squash. This strain specific dish brings about a wonderful fall time taste on the pallet which is incredibly comforting. Enjoy by itself as a healthy feast or serve as a side to accompany a fall time meal. Enjoy with a nice glass of wine or warm spiced apple cider.
Mise en place:
- 1 Yugoslavian Finger Squash
- 1/2 chopped day old French bread
- 3 tablespoons chopped cooked bacon, prosciutto, chicken, or ham of your choice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cheese of your choice (brie and goat are wonderful)
- 2 tablespoons dried fruit of your choice (raisins or cranberries work great!)
- 1 tablespoon chopped raw nuts of your choice (almonds or pecans are fantastic)
- 1 tablespoon Mr.Nice cannabutter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Garlic, salt, cracked pepper to season
- Cut the top of the squash off and carefully hollow out the squash by scooping out the seeds. Disgard the top into the garbage.
- In a glass cooking dish, add in about 1 inch of water. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. When the oven is done preheating, add the squash upside down and uncovered in the dish.
- Place into the oven for 20 minutes then turn the squash on the other side for another 20 minutes. Pull from the oven in preparation of the next step.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients except for the maple syrup, cannabutter, and brown sugar. Place the exempt ingredients into the bottom of the squash then gently pack in the mixture from your bowl.
- Place the squash stuffed side up into the oven for another 10 minutes uncovered. Serve as a meal in itself or as a wonderful accompaniment to any fall time meal. Enjoy!