Alien vegetable? Mutated garden squash? New character on the Adam’s Family to replace “The Thing”? Most of you will be asking “What the eff is that?!” upon seeing the above image. Fear not, as this creepy little fingered creature is actually called a “Yugoslavian Finger Squash”.…
Month: October 2012
Strain-specific tinctures are helpful when it comes to giving your body different terpenoids and flavonoids therapy.
As a new mother to a 3-month-old baby there are some days where I need the healing properties of cannabinoids without the psychoactive effect. In response to this need, I make non-psychoactive strain specific tinctures at home that keep all the cannabinoids in their raw form. By not decarboxylating the cannabis I am able to reap the benefits of the cannabinoids in their acidic form which will not get me high, but will still bring about therapeutic properties.
In their raw form, cannabinoids carry with them an array of health benefits that can benefit breastfeeding mothers. On my journey with the Cannabis Mom Diet, I find that after certain workout days I have bad inflammation of my muscles and my hip joints. Thankfully THCa and CBDa will help to fight and eradicate the inflammation I experience whether I ingest it or rub it on the sore areas topically.
Strain-specific tinctures are helpful when it comes to giving your body different terpenoids and flavonoids therapy. By selecting your favorite strains you will be infusing the different flavor profiles in addition to a unique spectrum of essential oils that will entice your nose into the tincture. These properties are therapeutic to the body in themselves as certain flavonoids contain anti-cancer properties while certain terpenes contain anti-anxiety properties. Each strain has their own ratios of these plant compounds so experimentation is the key to finding the right strains for your body.
Tinctures are a breeze to create in the comfort of your own home and take less than 5 minutes to make when you have all the ingredients on hand. Yes, you need to be patient for 4 weeks while the tincture works its magic, but I promise you it will pay off in the end. And once this magical elixir is created the versatility of using it within different mediums is almost limitless. Add it to soups, protein shakes, stews, hot tea, coffee, sauces, candies, ect. Just be creative and have fun with it!
Mise en place:
7 grams lightly ground fully cured cannabis (strain of your choice)
6 ounce mason jar
1 small bottle Everclear
1. Add the lightly ground cannabis strain of your choice to the jar. Make sure the cannabis is fully cured.
2. Pour the Everclear evenly over the cannabis until it is fully covered with alcohol. Gently shake the bottle so that the cannabis is evenly distributed throughout the Everclear.
3. Place the jar into a cool dark place such as a cupboard for 4 weeks. While this mixture is creating some magic over the 4 week time period, make sure to shake the jar gently once a week.
4. At the end of 4 weeks, strain the plant material from the mason jar either using cheese cloth or a very fine mesh strainer such as an medium fine chinois. Discard the plant material safely into the trash.
5. Now you have the choice to either add the strained tincture back into the mason jar or pour it into medicine dropper bottles. If you pour them into medicine dropper bottles, your dose will be anywhere from 1-5 drops to a full dropper. If you leave it in the jar, you can dose with a free medicine dropper or 1/8th of a teaspoon. Start small, then work your way up to see what works best for your body.
6. To add a little twist, you can flavor the tincture even more by adding in different extracts such as orange or vanilla. You can also add sweeteners like honey. Add the desired amount, until the tincture takes on your chosen taste.
Published in 2012. Adapted for: Cannabis Now Magazine.Share this: